Exercises to complete for this module:
Begin to compile a list of major gift prospects with the financial capabilities to meet the targets you identified in the gift chart exercise.
Use the LIA Qualification Grid template provided under ‘Materials’ in this module.
Points to remember:
- Search your database and identify donors who have given to your organisation regularly or significantly for the past two years or more
- Are they a volunteer, a board member or do they work internally for your organisation?
- Do they work for an organisation that your nonprofit has a relationship with?
- Can you identify if the donor makes donations to other nonprofits?
Remember, the purpose here is to identify what’s the linkage between these donors to your organisation and do they have the financial capabilities to make a major gift.
- What is the connection between these donors to your cause?
- Have they been actively engaging with your organisation to this point? If so, to what level?
Can be social media followers, attended your events, responds to emails, phones in regularly.
- What do you think is their gift capacity?
Use the LIA scoring method to create a score for these donors